Sunday, 2 July 2017

WEAR IT OUT


               

When was the last time you wore something out?   I wore out a pair of slippers recently but I must confess that part of the reason was that I couldn't find a similar substitute.   I should add the phrase, ' at a price I wanted to pay'.   The original ones had been a Christmas gift from a few years earlier and they now sported holes in the footbed and the sole was coming apart.   I could replace them with no feelings of guilt and feel satisfied they had served me well.   Even if I hadn't paid for them originally, I had received my money's worth.   

I once chided my daughter for spending more on a strapless evening gown that would be fortunate to be worn twice than the winter coat that would be worn almost daily for eight months and hopefully for at least five years.    Evening gowns are so glamorous, so fun to shop for and can transport the wearer to fantasies that cannot be matched by a study woolen coat.    Well, you're only young once and if a dress can make you feel like Audrey Hepburn or Marilyn Monroe and, better still, make you somewhat resemble the movie icon even I would have to say 'Go for it!" At least once in your youth . . . just don't make it a habit.    But skip the two dogs;  they would cost more in the long run.  (Say I with two dogs!)






But, back to my slippers, I bought a new pair on-line that resembled my old favourites but, alas, were not of the same fit, support or quality.  Where my gifted slippers had cost $40, the unsatisfactory replacements had only set me back $12.   There was a time when $12 bought a good pair of slippers but things change.  What I should have done was waited for my favoured brand to go on sale--everything goes on sale sometime, right?    After my experience I would leap at paying $25.   This time, I bookmark the name and brand of slipper and search weekly.   I suspect there are apps that do that for you with less effort.   

The moral of the WEAR IT OUT mantra is that you will only truly get use and wear something out with the satisfaction that you have had your money's worth, if it was good quality to start with.   There is no pleasure in a T shirt that turns shapeless and sports small holes after two washes.  When you find a company, a product that encapsulates those elusive qualities of good construction and excellent materials, you will likely be happy with your purchase . . . for a long time.   By avoiding materials with micro beads or microfibres you'll also be helping the environment.

With both fashion and furniture, classic lines and colours will likely please you longer than one season wonders.   Although I've noticed that gaucho pants, which suit few women, make regular re-appearances.




1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty good at wearing out clothes although sometimes I outgrow them instead! Sorry to hear your new slippers aren't up to par.

    ReplyDelete